Wednesday, November 21, 2007

OUR DINNER STYLE

I have two stories. So, am not sure which to write about. One is about our thanksgiving. The other is about my Mom and me.
In a previous entry, I wrote about the very rich dinner in a magazine. Well our family special dinners were not like that.
Out, of choice. We began cutting back on fat in our diet in the late 40's and early 50's. When Dad bought the new cookware set; made by the brand new company ' Eckoware. All stainless steel. Very sanitary. Easy to clean and cooked the food properly. I have some of my ware yet.
For Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, we had, turkey with a sage stuffing. Mashed white potatoes. Boiled chunk sweet potatoes with brown sugar syrup. We didn't care for the marshmallows. Salad. A vegetable, perhaps; carrots or green beans, whatever. And we had gravy. A dinner is not a real dinner without enough gravy. Low fat. Dad made the gravy and sometimes Bachelor bread, it's made in a cast iron skillet Better than biscuits. And cranberry sauce of some kind. Canned, with berries or just the jellied.
Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.
We had rather simple food, because my Dad didn't care for fancy, rich, fussey food. Salt and pepper were the main seasonings. (We did use mustard and catsup. With other foods. But not with turkey. Ugh.)
I like food that is on the 'le cuisine' side. I used to be adventuous, Now I'm back to simple.

No comments: