Thursday, June 19, 2008

PRETTY CLOTHES

When I became too old to play with dolls. (or so my Mother thought) I discovered it was ok to be a collector.
When I became a teenager I had found some books on doll collecting and antique dolls.
We went to the movies a frequently, because they were the main source of entertainment back then. I particularly enjoyed any movie with period dress. That's why
I became very interested in finding out about the style of clothing people used to wear. Period dress. The mid-to late 19th. century especially.
Of course 'Gone With The Wind', which is not a favorite, except for the costumes. There was, Reap The Wild Wind, too. Way too many to remember or list.
It was so nice to see, to go to a movie and look at the really pretty clothes women used to wear. Up where I grew up, it was all shirts and blue jeans. Some did wear plain cotton frocks. However, almost every woman had a special dance dress or two. Because there was a community dance somewhere, almost every weekend.
My Mom and I always liked pretty clothes. Mom was average size so she was able to find clothes in her size. But me, well, I have always weighed more for my age than average. The stores carried very limited selections. My solution to the fitting problem was solved with 'separates.' I was not 'fat', I was heavier than I ought. I wasn't a big eater. either. But, since my parents as children had known want. They always made us kids 'finish our plate;. For my big brother that wasn't much of a problem. But, I always had a stomach ache when I had to eat too much. After I was an adult , I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And no cure, took thyroid pills for years. Helped keep my weight under control. So, I have fought my weight all my life.
Well, since I loved pretty clothes. I was able to make some occasionally. It was the only way I could have pretty clothes in my size.
The costumes in the movies were so elegant and feminine, but hoop skirts and bustles and farthingales were no longer worn. That was another thing that attracted me to dolls.
I could make dolls and dress them in period styles. Very much feeding my bliss. (or at least one of them.) People used to wear incredible clothes. Of course the many layers in winter were most practical too. No central heat you know.
Therefore since I cannot find pretty clothes in my size most of the time, I dress very plain and simply. ----But, I can sew for my dolls and make them wonderful things. Half the dolls I collected were chosen for the clothes they wore. The other dolls are for make, age and style.
Bustles, hoopskirts, farthingales. My favorite era is the 19th. century. But, I also like the 18th century styles. For modern dolls, the Victorian Revival of the 1950's is also a favorite now, because of the full skirts. The was called the era of 'The New Look', by the designer, Christian Dior. Silly man. Anyone could see that it was a return to Victorian thinking.
I miss having pretty clothes to wear. And, anyway, I don't go anywhere so, at any rate, I have no need for special dressing.

I will look and see if I can find a picture of some sort, to show what stlyes I liked.
*****************************************

This a dress I designed long time ago. I was going to make it up. But, I got into dolls.
Nevermind the fur. Back then fur was acceptable. No, I did not myself own a blue fox scarf.

No comments: