Sunday, March 23, 2008

EASTER LILY

Well, finally the stores stocked the lilies for Easter. We were going a bit miffed. Hb. brought this one home Thursday, it was just waiting for warmth and light to do it's thing. It is just right, there are two flowers and both opened. It is not a tall one. But, it is nice.
When I was young, I was a bit puzzled as to why a male rabbit delivered eggs on a religious Holiday. My parents didn't have the answer, really, but, said the rabbit thing came from a folk and fairy story. So, I knew about fairy stories. And then there was some sort of merging with the Christian beliefs. Because the days came together on the calender. (well, almost.) That is one of the things that sent me off reading everything on myth and folktales I could get my hands on. I was an adult before I found books on the origins of Christianity. And how it replaced many older faiths. I learned a great deal. And it was most enlightening. Joseph Campbell helped me get some of the story straight.
However, in way I still like the bunny story, only to me it is properly a female.

1 comment:

LauraHinNJ said...

Hope your Easter was joyful! Love those bunnies in the background.